This is it. As soon as you're done reading this article (or instead of) you'll be out the door and on your way to some far-flung location for a well-deserved vacation. Perhaps it's with family. Perhaps it's in a place that makes you relax. Certainly you'll be taking the time to enjoy your 'down time' and looking forward to a new year filled - as it should be - with hopes and promise.
So, here are some ideas for sustainable choices for the break:
- Travel as much as you can in public transport. It's such a great way to really get to the place!
- Ask that presents intended for you are given unwrapped (or in something reusable) and save on single-use paper. Do the same for others.
- Make at least one meal vegetarian and minimize the impact on the environment from grazing animals
- Enjoy time outdoors and while you're there plant a tree (or a flower)
- Make a new-year's resolution that involves sustainability and/or the environment
- Take some time to help others and show appreciation for those around you (don't we always?)
- When you come back offset your carbon. ISKL often uses Climate Care but you can feel free to assist future energy production and/or carbon sequestration
The list could go on and on and on. Suffice it to say that as big as that list is, so too are the options for things you can do, right now and over the break, to make your choices more sustainable. Some are easy. Others are not. All are helpful.
Happy Holidays for those who celebrate them, and all the best for the new year! See you in 2013.