Just over the past two weeks a good amount of things have happened related to our school. In focusing on nature and sustainability here are some highlights:
- The MS ISTA trip to Telunas, Indonesia featured 40 ISKL students performing (physical theatre, dance, clowning and storytelling) in natural settings along side SAS and AISS (Singapore).
- Grades 1, 5 and 6 welcomed d'Arcy Lunn who focused on global citizenship and what it means for our students.
- Grade 8 is well underway on their newly-revamped unit on Climate adaptation. A big part of this is the role playing of students with regard to a variety of global issues as they relate to specific countries; a sort of MUN meets GIN format.
- Grade 7 is well underway for planning their Ecology Symposium which will take place in January.
- Grade 6 service learning classes are already honing their skills and interests to global issues and will be identifying a specific service learning experience soon. One class has decided to focus on poverty.
- Our grade 1 students combined their global citizenship voices to create a video about sustainable Christmas celebrations (here).
- Grade 3 has been incredibly active on the "green" front this past month
- They welcomed Ecocentric Transitions to build their own vermi-composting bins. Four bins now reside in our grade 3 classrooms.
- They visited the Klang Gates stream to do water quality testing with the Global Environment Centre.
- They have also been working on identifying appropriate tree species for the outside of our Melawati campus wall where the new wall has been build just outside the gym.
- Our Preps have been planting seedlings for their new Garden Tower.
- HS Earth Club organized our very first Farmer's Market which, small though it was, was heralded as a great new direction for our community. And, of course, the on-going Community Recycling continued on that same day bringing in over 1 tonne of recyclables.
Can you believe all that has happened just in a past few weeks at ISKL? Thinking about it, it's a whole lot of work, effort and great learning going on! Just the type of thing you like to see before heading into a long break. Happy Holidays to everyone! See you in 2015!!